1950 - 1954
|Louis Schanker was very active in the first half of the 1950's. He continued to teach color wood block and printing at the New School for Social Research in New York City. His works along with those of Albers, Davis, De Kooning, Hofmann, Motherwell, Pollack, and Rothko continued to be shown in group shows including the "Root Collection Exhibition" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. During the late 40's he had joined many of them in establishing an art colony in the "Hamptons" on eastern Long Island. |
By the early 50's he had given up both his rental at Maidstone Park in East Hampton and his1932 Desoto to the sculptor David Slivka and moved into his 100 year old farmhouse on Madison Street in Sag Harbor.
In 1952, "Carnival," one of Schanker's large multicolor prints adorned the cover of the Brooklyn Museum catalog for their "New Expressions in Fine Printmaking." show. He was a founding member of the International Graphic Arts Society which selected one of his new "Circle Image" works for their first publication.
In 1952 he opened his approximately 28th one man show at the well known Grace Borgenicht Gallery on 57th Street in Manhattan. It featured his new "Circle image" series of works. An opening party was hosted at the home of Louise Nevelson. It celebrated both the Borgenicht Oil show and a concurrent first showing of Schanker's Sculpture at the Sculpture Center on 69th Street in Manhattan.
The period ended with a Life Magazine article about the revival of interest in color woodblock printing, "The Comeback of an Art." In the article Schanker is described as
"...one of the pioneers...One of the earliest woodcut artists to do
abstractions, Schanker has trained or influenced a generation of
talented younger artists." Students
|Clippings 1950 -1954|